Saturday, August 14, 2010

Promoting Self

If I want to live my dream, I have to promote myself. I want to be the center of attention—the topic of conversation. Everyone needs to know who I am.

These attitudes are prevalent in our society. Everyone wants to have their moment of fame. How else can you explain the reality programming? How else can you explain the videos people stage and share? How else can you explain much of the degrading activities people engage in to get on TV? For what other reason would people post some of the stuff they put on Facebook and other internet venues?

“But if you harbor bitter envy and selfish ambition in your hearts, do not boast about it or deny the truth…For where you have envy and selfish ambition, there you find disorder and every evil practice." James 3:14, 16 NIV

As I researched what the Bible says about selfish ambition, I was astounded to find it listed with some rather serious sinful behaviors.

"The acts of the sinful nature are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God." Gal 5:19-21 NIV

Apparently God considers selfish ambition to be a very serious sin. But aren’t we to watch out for ourselves?

"Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others." Phil 2:3-4 NIV

So, we are to look after our own interests but not have selfish ambition. This lack of selfishness will be evidenced by how we demonstrate our concern for others.

Lord, I pray for you to “Direct me in the path of your commands, for there I find delight. Turn my heart toward your statutes and not toward selfish gain.” (Psalm 119:35-36 NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment