Wednesday, August 25, 2010

It's Work

Often the hours run out before the tasks for the day are completed. My ability to judge how much I can accomplish in any given day is generally overly optimistic. I love being busy and accomplishing tasks. It is rewarding to check things off my to-do list. The fact that I am not lazy and enjoy working is one area of my life which I believe is pleasing to God. A willingness to work is one of the characteristics given for a woman of noble character.

“She sets about her work vigorously; her arms are strong for her tasks.” Proverbs 31:17 NIV

So God desires for the godly woman to be industrious. But has God put any conditions on the type of work we are to do?

“Do not work for food that spoils, but for food that endures to eternal life, which the Son of Man will give you. On him God the Father has placed his seal of approval." John 6:27 NIV

How is that possible for me to work “for food that endures to eternal life?” So much of my current work as a housewife involves mundane cleaning, cooking, and shopping for groceries.

“Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business and to work with your hands, just as we told you, so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders and so that you will not be dependent on anybody.” 1 Thessalonians 4:11-12

So I am to be humble as I go about my daily tasks. I am not to purposely draw attention to myself. Any attention my work activities receive are to bring glory on my Savior who will reward me for eternity. Therefore I must joyfully perform my daily tasks well.

“Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving.” Colossians 3:23-24 NIV

Lord, show me the tasks you want me to accomplish today. May I humbly and willingly perform them well.

“May the favor of the Lord our God rest upon us; establish the work of our hands for us — yes, establish the work of our hands. Psalm 90:17 NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment