Saturday, September 18, 2010

Rebellious Sin

Sometimes my rebellion toward God is so entrenched that I have to experience an extremely unpleasant event before I understand a message that God has been sending my way for a long time. It is only after I suffer some severe consequences that I recognize the warnings God had been lovingly giving me. I am not unique in this area. Rebelling against God’s commands has been a problem throughout human history.

The first chapter of Isaiah has much to teach me even though this chapter was written to the nation of Judah. My attitudes and behaviors can be so arrogant that one would think I am as significant as a nation of God’s chosen people.

“…Why do you persist in rebellion?...” Isaiah 1:5 NIV

What parent finds pleasure in her child’s rebellious behavior, especially if there has been much discussion and punishment used to eradicate the offensive behavior? Likewise, God desires for us to quit being rebellious.

“…For the Lord has spoken: "I reared children and brought them up, but they have rebelled against me.” Isaiah 1:2b NIV

This verse was true during the time of Isaiah. But take a look around at our community and our church. One would have to be absolutely blind to not see the rebellion to God. A lot of good behaviors are being exhibited. However, the good behaviors, as the saying goes, are a mile wide and an inch deep. Good things are being done, but they are not being done for God. They are being done for self—the desire to look good, for people to think well of us, to soothe our conscious for some slightly bad thing we did. Our good, “churchy” activities are not pleasing to God.

"’The multitude of your sacrifices — what are they to me?’ says the Lord.” Isaiah 1:11 NIV

God tells us he would rather we quit our showy efforts to seem religious. He doesn’t need our pitiful, selfish labors.

“Stop bringing meaningless offerings…I cannot bear your evil assemblies.” Isaiah 1:13 NIV

I always thought that it was important to appear religious. But I had it backwards. Appearing religious is detestable to God. God wants our hearts. God says he will not listen to our prayers if we are living in rebellion to him and are insincerely seeking him.

“When you spread out your hands in prayer, I will hide my eyes from you; even if you offer many prayers, I will not listen. Your hands are full of blood; wash and make yourselves clean. Take your evil deeds out of my sight! Stop doing wrong, learn to do right!” Isaiah 1:15-17a NIV

Looking religious is not wrong if it is a result of seeking God in love and faith.

“And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him.” Hebrews 11:6 NIV

God promises to reward those who stop rebelling against him.

“If you are willing and obedient, you will eat the best from the land;” Isaiah 1:19 NIV

So, which comand of God's are you rebelling against?

“If you obey my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have obeyed my Father's commands and remain in his love.” John 15:10 NIV

Lord, through the power of the Holy Spirit, take away every thought and action that is rebellious to you. Make me yearn for obedience to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment