Thursday, May 6, 2010

Just say NO

How do you do that? I’ve often been told that I cannot say that word. And I suppose people who tell me this are right in their observations. But what do they know? They are not living in my skin—in my situation.

How can I say no to…
• A task that I have a unique ability to complete
• A friend’s request for a favor
• A child’s request for help
• A church need that no one is addressing
• My husband’s requests, especially since he is not very demanding
• The needs of my elderly mother

My housework can wait. I can surely find something to wear in my closet without having to do a load of laundry. The toilet can go one more day without scrubbing. Paper plates will work for supper tonight. Of course I’ll have to scrub the skillet before cooking the meal. Better yet, I’ll just grab something at the KFC drive-through window on my way home from meeting a friend for afternoon coffee. She had a lot on her mind and needed someone to talk to.

I’ve been feeling a bit stressed lately and know I need to slow down. How can I balance all my responsibilities? If only I would use my time better and God would expand my time, then I should be able to do all of the good deeds I am doing without undue stress.

So what does God say about time management and keeping up my many servant activities?

“But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, ‘Lord, don't you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!’
‘Martha, Martha,’ the Lord answered, ‘you are worried and upset about many things, but only one thing is needed. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.’" Luke 10:40-42 NIV

So Martha chose to work diligently to make special preparations for her Lord. Mary chose to form a relationship with her Lord. Which am I to do--works or relationship?

“For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.” Ephesians 2:10 NIV

So we are to do only the good works that God has prepared in advance for us to do. But how am I to know what those works are? There are so many good and necessary activities which should be done.

“The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still." Exodus 14:14 NIV

“Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for him; do not fret when men succeed in their ways, when they carry out their wicked schemes.” Psalm 37:7 NIV

"Be still, and know that I am God;…” Psalm 46:10a NIV

“Be still before the Lord, all mankind…" Zechariah 2:13a NIV

So I am to slow down long enough to seek God’s council—to ask for his direction and advice. I am not to barge ahead in an activity even though I might be uniquely equipped to do it well. God may have that activity reserved for someone else. Who do I think I am if I take it upon myself?

Lord, forgive my arrogance to taking on tasks and activities you have not designated as mine. Give me discernment. Make me keenly in tune with your will.

1 comment:

  1. Martha here.... I am definately Martha... yes, indeed, I was wrongly named - I should have been Martha.... but my middle name should have been Mary.

    Lord, I concur with my sister's prayer.. give me discernment and keep me attuned to your will.

    Blessings,
    Lorna

    ReplyDelete