Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Thank You

At times life can be discouraging. I know that I am to stay grounded in God and do his bidding, but sometimes things just get to me. I think it is part of being human. Even David, who was known as the man with a heart for God, became discouraged. All you have to do is read the book of Psalms. Yes, there are wonderful inspirational psalms and wonderful praise psalms. But there are also psalms in which David is begging God to give him relief and hope.

This year has been a struggle for me. Some important aspects of my life are no longer viable. I mourned the loss of things that were close to my heart and part of my identity. These losses caused me to question much of what I do and have been doing over the past few years. I have sought God by reading the Bible, meditating on verses, memorizing scripture, praying, and seeking solitude as a spiritual discipline. It has been an excruciatingly difficult year.

But my God is so good. He allowed the pain, and he is orchestrating the healing. Even in the darkest times he gave me hope in many unexpected ways. But most importantly, my God protected me and nurtured me through Bible Study Fellowship. The lectures and lessons for our study of the Book of John were tailor-made for my current struggles. God ministered to me each week as I worked on the lesson, read the notes, listened to the lecture, and interacted with the ladies in my discussion group. God called me to be a discussion leader then gave me the most delightful group of ladies possible. This group of ladies have amazing spiritual depth and blessed me each week with their answers to the lesson questions and with their expressions of faith when I talked with them on the phone. These ladies were so positive and encouraging in their remarks to me all year. But today I was humbled as one after another they thanked me and told me how I had blessed them this year. God is good. He knew I needed that.

“… but let us encourage one another — and all the more as you see the Day approaching.” Hebrews 10:25b NIV

So, who is God calling you to bless today? Please do not hesitate to obey his bidding. It may be the word of encouragement that person needs to pull her through a difficult time.

Lord, show me who you want me to encourage. Give me the words, the method, and the timing to bestow a blessing on one of your servants today.

No comments:

Post a Comment