Monday, May 3, 2010

Stress--A Problem?

Now that is something I know about! Most of you also have a pretty good grasp of how debilitating stress can be on us. It is emotionally and physically damaging, but more seriously, it is spiritually damaging. Our reactions to stress keep us from having a powerful Christian witness. Who of us have not said words or displayed actions which were hurtful to others, not because of anything that they had done but because we were feeling undue pressure?

We should not allow our lives to be ruled by stress!

But I am –Guilty, Guilty, Guilty. My main stressor is myself. I make unrealistic demands on myself. I am always expecting to get more accomplished than is realistic. Generally my desires for accomplishment for the day are straight out of Fantasyland. When things don’t get done, I fret and make a new list with a time schedule for the next day. Well, not always, but I do this more often that I like to admit even to myself. My problem is I just like to accomplish things, to do things, to be busy.

So what does the Bible say about stress created by busyness?

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” Matthew 11:28-30 NIV

So sounds like I am to focus on Jesus and not on the accomplishment of completing my long daily list of worldly projects. As I look at today’s list, many of the tasks are really not of eternal value. They are just things I think I should do. That shortens the list but it is still unrealistic.

“Cast your cares on the Lord and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous fall.” Psalm 55:22 NIV

So it sounds like I am to pray before I create the “to-do” list and schedule for today. Okay I will add that to my “to-do” list! Actually I see the value in this list item. If I will just be still during my prayer time and allow God to lead my thoughts then the list should be exactly right. Come to think of it, isn’t it very arrogant of me not to allow my daily plans to be totally under God’s direction?

“Humble yourselves, therefore, under God's mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time. Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.” 1 Peter 5:6-7 NIV

So this morning I decided be still before God. I fixed a cup of tea, started the water fountain on my deck, sat in my favorite deck chair, listened to the birds sing, and watched the squirrels cavorting in the trees. The sun rose over the hedge row and the delicate cobwebs glistened on dried up milo stalks in the field behind my house. The flowers are blooming, the grass in green, and the wind is but a gentle breeze.

“When I consider your heavens, the work of your fingers, the moon and the stars, which you have set in place, what is man that you are mindful of him, the son of man that you care for him? You made him a little lower than the heavenly beings and crowned him with glory and honor. You made him ruler over the works of your hands; you put everything under his feet: all flocks and herds, and the beasts of the field, the birds of the air, and the fish of the sea, all that swim the paths of the seas. O Lord, our Lord, how majestic is your name in all the earth! Psalm 8:3-9 NIV

Lord, thank you for your beauty, your order, and our loving care. Through the power of the Holy Spirit teach me to let go of my “to-do” list and make me eager and willing to complete your plan for my life each day.

No comments:

Post a Comment