Sunday, May 16, 2010

Cleaning Up the Mess

My kitchen is a mess. When we moved in over twelve years ago, I was stressed and very busy with my career. Therefore, I just stuck things in my kitchen cupboards wherever I could make them fit. Since then I have purchased a heavy-duty mixer and food processor plus several other smaller items. Nothing has been removed. By now you should be getting the picture. My kitchen is a total mess!

I allotted a whole day to the kitchen clean-up project. What a joke! So far I have spent most of one day and fairly large chunks of two more days on the project and the project is maybe half done. Do you know how many thousands of individual items are in a normal kitchen? I am looking at each item then evaluating if it should be kept because it is useful, kept because it has sentimental value, trashed, recycled, or donated to Goodwill. Quite a daunting task! I keep telling myself that God is a god of order.

“But everything should be done in a fitting and orderly way.” 1 Corinthians 14:40 NIV

Even though Paul is talking about the worship services being orderly in this passage, many passages speak to God’s command for us to live an exemplary life not just while we worship but all the time.

“She watches over the affairs of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness.” Proverbs 31:27 NIV

The mess in my kitchen is not the result of idleness for I am busy most of the time, but it is the result of misuse of my time and energy. Just because I keep myself busy does not mean it is fine for me to be negligent in watching over the "affairs of my kitchen."

So I am struggling to clean up my mess and make my kitchen orderly again.

Lord, give me the endurance to complete this task and the wisdom to complete it well.

No comments:

Post a Comment