Sunday, May 23, 2010

My Mother-In-Law

Our Lord repeatedly states the importance of raising children rightly. In the following passage God lets the early church know that its elders must be good parents.

“He must manage his own family well and see that his children obey him with proper respect.” 1 Timothy 3:4 NIV

So how is this done? Through lovingly and firmly teaching children to obey their parents.

“Discipline your son, and he will give you peace; he will bring delight to your soul.” Proverbs 29:17 NIV

Oh how true this is. Throughout my married life, I have watched the interaction of my husband and his mother. He has told me many stories of how his misdeeds were disciplined with firmness and love. I have witnessed the love and respect my husband feels for his mother and the love and respect she feels for her adult son. She is confident she raised her son well. And she did.

“Fathers, do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord.” Ephesians 6:4 NIV

Discipline with love is a good thing. My husband and his brother are living examples of this. They learned to love, obey, and respect their mother.

Obedience to parents is a biblical command which has a promise.

“Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. ‘Honor your father and mother’-which is the first commandment with a promise—‘that it may go well with you and that you may enjoy long life on the earth.’" Ephesians 6:1-3 NIV

Lord, thank you for my mother-in-law and for my loving and godly parents.

No comments:

Post a Comment