Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Mind Your Own Business

I finally get it. Have you ever read a passage of scripture that just did not make any sense? No matter what angle you came at it, it still seemed illogical. This is my problem with the following verses.

“Peter turned and saw that the disciple whom Jesus loved was following them… When Peter saw him, he asked, ‘Lord, what about him?’ Jesus answered, ‘If I want him to remain alive until I return, what is that to you? You must follow me.’ Because of this, the rumor spread among the brothers that this disciple would not die. But Jesus did not say that he would not die; he only said, ‘If I want him to remain alive until I return, what is that to you?’ John 21:20-23 NIV

Essentially, Jesus was telling Peter to quit being concerned about how Jesus was working with another individual. Jesus had been leading Peter and the disciples to understand that Peter was to be a leader in the developing church, and Peter was beginning to understand his role. However, his glance rested on John (the disciple Jesus loved), and Peter's focus was changed. Peter was no longer concentrating on following Jesus’ instructions. His focus was jealously on another disciple. In essence, Jesus told Peter to mind his own business. Jesus would deal with John individually as he saw fit just as Jesus was dealing with Peter as an individual.

So when I focus my attention on how God is working in another person’s life or how God is using another person, I am setting myself up as a god who knows best. It is none of my business. It is God’s business and that is a good thing. I have no control over anyone else. I only have control over how I respond to situations and circumstances. I am not responsible for anyone else. I am accountable for me. God will deal with everyone else through the power of the Holy Spirit. I am only answerable to God and to do as he commands me. I am not to mess with or be envious of God's intentions for others. My God is capable of perfectly working his plan. He is capable of doing more than I can humanly imagine.

“Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.” Ephesians 3:20-21 NIV

Lord, give me the insight to recognize when I am meddling and not keeping my eyes firmly focused on you. Show me which of my attitudes, actions, or thoughts indicate that I am jealous and more concerned about the standing of another in your eyes. Show me what I need to do or stop doing to keep my focus clearly on you.

No comments:

Post a Comment