Monday, May 10, 2010

The Workplace

The old hymn “This World Is Not My Home” has been buzzing around my head today.

This world is not my home,
I'm just a passing through,
My treasures are laid up
somewhere beyond the blue;
The angels beckon me
from heaven's open door,
And I can't feel at home
in this world anymore.

My Savior pardoned me
from guilt and shame I know,
I'll trust His saving grace
while trav'ling here below;
I know He'll welcome me
at heaven's open door
And I can't feel at home
in this world anymore.

Refrain:
O Lord, I know,
I have no friend like you,
If heaven's not my home
O Lord, what can I do?
The angels beckon me
from heaven's open door,
And I can't feel at home
in this world anymore.

How true this song is! How much difference it makes in my priorities and attitudes if I truly believe what it says! My life on earth is only temporary. This world is not my home. Jesus is arranging and decorating my home in heaven.

“In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am." John 14:2-3 NIV

This time on earth is temporary. It is my jobsite. It is my workplace for the present. That is all.

So I can bear whatever God allows to come my way. I can have peace, not based on circumstances, but based on Jesus Christ. I can experience joy in Jesus each and every day knowing I am doing his work in the location and time he has given me with the work materials he has provided.

Lord, thank you for calling me to work for you during my temporary stay on earth. Make me an effective laborer for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment