Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Who Me? Blind?

Recently I read a story about a mining accident. When the rescuers finally were able to dig into the cavern in which the miners were trapped, one of the miners asked why they did not turn on the lanterns. Of course the rescue team was using lighted lanterns but the miner did not know this fact because he had been blinded by the accident.

I have been troubled by passages which say that hearts were made hard. How could a loving God do such a thing? God is revealing to me that just because he is a loving God does not mean he is a mushy-hearted pushover. In the Isaiah passage below, God told Isaiah to give this prophesy of consequences for their behaviors to the nation of Israel who had for years been not following God’s commands. They had fallen into evil, immoral, and idolatrous practices. The overwhelming majority of the people were not sincerely worshipping God.

“He said, ‘Go and tell this people:"'Be ever hearing, but never understanding; be ever seeing, but never perceiving.' Make the heart of this people calloused; make their ears dull and close their eyes. Otherwise they might see with their eyes, hear with their ears, understand with their hearts, and turn and be healed." Isaiah 6:9-10 NIV

God was passing judgment and punishment on a group of people who had purposely, methodically, and overwhelmingly rejected him over a period of many years. God had clearly instructed the Israelites in expected behaviors and warned them numerous times that their errant behaviors would result in punishment. He was not making their hearts hard. God was letting the nation of Israel experience the consequences of their callous sinfulness.

So which of God’s commands am I guilty of breaking repeatedly? What behaviors do I excuse in myself instead of confessing them to God and asking for the strength to eradicate those sins from my life?

"You shall not covet your neighbor's house. You shall not covet your neighbor's wife, or his manservant or maidservant, his ox or donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbor." Exodus 20:17 NIV

With being a part of the modern American society of extreme self-indulgence and consumerism, how can I live in this culture and not break the tenth commandment almost daily? Only by confessing my selfish sin to God.

Lord, forgive my greediness. Create in me a satisfaction with what I currently own. Make me truly happy for the material blessings others have received without thinking I should have been similarly blessed. Lord, thank you for your abundant blessings for me and my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment