Thursday, May 20, 2010

Filthy Rags

Yes, in the eyes of the world I am a good person. And compared to some, I am exemplary. But in Isaiah 64:6, God points out that “all our righteous acts are like filthy rags.” In the past I was able to give lip service to this statement, but it did not sink into my heart. It was one of those phrases we Christians say but do not let penetrate our thinking because we are unwilling to admit to ourselves how self-centered and self-righteous we are.

Even though God gave me numerous positive strokes yesterday, I was in a blue mood and unable to focus. I’d like to be able to say that I do not know why, but I do. I was nursing hurt feelings over a friendship which has become fractured—one in which I thought my hurt had been resolved. I recognize God’s work in much of what has happened; much that needed adjustment in my attitudes and behaviors has been rectified. However, for the past couple of days my focus has been on the frustration and hurt of not being able to “fix” the relationship.

So God in his love and wisdom directed me to read some of Psalms yesterday. Like usual, verses which I needed riveted my attention.

“The righteous cry out, and the Lord hears them; he delivers them from all their troubles.” Psalm 34:17 NIV

This verse is not necessarily promising that all our troubles will become non-existent. It means that God will work his good through the troubles and give us peace. God will deliver us in his way which may or may not be how we envisioned.

“We wait in hope for the Lord; he is our help and our shield.” Psalm 33:20 NIV

And God’s deliverance may not be according to our timetable. We have to be willing to wait for the Lord to deliver. While we are waiting, God will be working his purposes and his good which transpire into the best for us.

“O Lord my God, I called to you for help and you healed me.” Psalm 30:2 NIV

So I gave my problem to God and am waiting his instructions. I am striving to squelch my fix-it desires, pray, and discern his timing for my next action. Then and only then is there even the remotest possibility the friendship fracture will heal.

Lord, thank you for teaching me the hard lessons and through them working a healing deep in my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment