Monday, October 4, 2010

Bad Things Happen

Have you had one of those days when everything seems to go wrong? No matter how hard you try or how right you are, the results are hurt, disappointment, and criticism.

As I was meditating on the first chapter of Philippians tonight, I was struck by Paul’s attitude about his hardships. When something bad happens to me, especially if it is unfair, I become angry. Not Paul.

“Now I want you to know, brothers, that what has happened to me has really served to advance the gospel.” Philippians 1:12 NIV

This attitude by a true Christian saint is so contrary to the prosperity gospel which is prevalent today. Even though Paul was doing God’s will, he suffered severe persecution. At this time he was in prison because he preached the gospel and wouldn’t compromise its content. How would you respond if you had been thrown into prison for truthfully telling others about Christ? Paul’s response was to tell his friends that his preaching had been successful because his current condition was spreading the gospel more than otherwise possible! Amazing!

Paul goes on to say that some of his contemporaries were preaching about Christ for wrong motives—motives to cause Paul problems. One would expect that Paul would be upset. No. Here is his response.

“But what does it matter? The important thing is that in every way, whether from false motives or true, Christ is preached. And because of this I rejoice. Yes, and I will continue to rejoice, for I know that through your prayers and the help given by the Spirit of Jesus Christ, what has happened to me will turn out for my deliverance.” Philippians 1:18-19 NIV

One would expect to hear Paul lament. “Poor me” statements should be bursting forth from Paul’s mouth. It did not happen. Paul prayed for courage so that no matter what came about, Christ would be worshipped.

“I eagerly expect and hope that I will in no way be ashamed, but will have sufficient courage so that now as always Christ will be exalted in my body, whether by life or by death.” Philippians 1:20 NIV

So our response to unfair treatment because of our witness is to be one of courage and joy that the gospel is being preached.

Lord, through the power of the Holy Spirit, create in me a desire to obediently witness even if I may be ridiculed. Give me courage to be obedient to you at all times.

No comments:

Post a Comment