Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Defeated

Today about 10 a.m., Satan defeated me. The morning had gone well until about 7:45 when a text message upset my morning plans. I was immediately ill at ease because arrangements would have to be made that would cause inconveniences for several people. One of the persons has been a bit “hard to take” recently so I knew immediately that I would have to work on my frame of mind. I gave myself a little pep talk, and I thought I was ready to face the day. Wrong. I made a strategic error. I took things into my own hands under my own power. I thought I could fix my attitude. I overestimated my ability and underestimated the ability of Satan. I did not pray for guidance and power from God.

“And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints.” Ephesians 6:18 NIV

The morning progressed somewhat smoothly until about 10 o’clock when I lost it. One well orchestrated, perfectly timed phone call kick-started the anger and hurt. My temper flared. One short sentence later Satan had his victory.

"’In your anger do not sin’": Do not let the sun go down while you are still angry, and do not give the devil a foothold.” Ephesians 4:26-27 NIV

I know most of the time my anger stems from hurt pride and frustration with myself. Today was no different. Today I recognized it quickly and removed myself from the situation to allow me time to cool off--to get control of my emotions. Was I wronged? Yes. Did I handle it rightly? No. I lost round one of the match between me and Satan.

After sulking a few minutes and shedding a few tears, I realized that Satan was probably really enjoying his victory. Now I have a stubborn streak, and I do not like letting Satan revel in his cunningness. So I prayed. It helped some. But to my consternation, my emotions did not settle down as I expected they would. This is probably because my prayer was not offered up when it should have been. This morning about 7:45, I should have been on my knees. I should have been giving the situation over to God to handle in his way on his timeline.

"Simon, Simon, Satan has asked to sift you as wheat. But I have prayed for you, Simon, that your faith may not fail. And when you have turned back, strengthen your brothers." Luke 22:31-32 NIV

Jesus taught us about the importance of intercessory prayer. Jesus prayed so Simon would be able to withstand Satan’s deceitfulness.

I realized I needed for my trusted Christian friends to pray intercessory prayers for me. A little after 2:30 I sent text messages to a couple of “prayer warrior” friends who immediately offered up prayers. By shortly after 3, I had experienced a miraculous calming and had a clear understanding of how I am to proceed—how I am to handle the situation.

I’d like to say all is perfect and difficulties are resolved. They are not. God allows us to suffer the consequences of our sins and sin I did. Yes, I have confessed and know I have received forgiveness from my Savior. Now he is shaping me at the heart level to be more loving, merciful, and humble.

So this morning I was defeated by Satan. But tonight, through the power of prayer and the work of the Holy Spirit, Satan is defeated.

Lord, thank you for the difficult lesson you taught me today. Make me more like Jesus during each moment of my life. Sanctify me, Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment