Monday, October 18, 2010

What Is Your View?

I take God for granted. I know he is there, has been there, and always will be there. Whenever I need him, I know that I can call on him. How do you see him? Is your view similar to my view of God? Is he pleased with it?

“In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.” Genesis 1:1 NIV

God created everything. It is mindboggling to know that he spoke the earth, vegetation, animals, man, and the universe into being. As scientists make new discoveries (both physically large things like a new galaxy or very miniscule like a new part of a cell), it is impossible to comprehend how one being could do it all. But he did.

“’For I know the plans I have for you,’ declares the Lord, ‘plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.” Jeremiah 29:11-13 NIV

I know God created me the way he did and put me on earth when he did for his purposes. He had plans for me. Wow, isn’t that something! Truly amazing that my God created me special. So how do I repay that love? I pray, sing praises, and read his word. But I also tend to do as I please, how I please, when I please. I am sure my actions are not always pleasing to him.

“… I saw the Lord seated on a throne, high and exalted, and the train of his robe filled the temple. Above him were seraphs…And they were calling to one another: ‘Holy, holy, holy is the Lord Almighty; the whole earth is full of his glory.’" Isaiah 6:1-3 NIV

The angels have a high view of God. They worship him continually. Should I learn something from them? Isaiah changed his view of God after seeing God and witnessing the angels worship.

"’Woe to me!’ I cried. ‘I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.’" Isaiah 6:5 NIV

God allowed Isaiah to see him sitting on his throne because he had a special mission for Isaiah which would require him to have an unusually strong and tenacious faith. Today we gain spiritual power through the Holy Spirit. After Jesus’ resurrection, God sent the Holy Spirit to miraculously work in us—to give us insight and strength to serve him.

“For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do. Ephesians 2:10 NIV

So what is your view of God? Is he a holy creator who will provide you with the strength you need to do the works he has prepared in advance for you to do? Be honest.

Now that you have thought about your view of God, what would those who know you best say your view of God is? Does your professed view of God line up with your actions—the way you live your life each moment of each day?

Lord, I love you. I kneel in awe. Only you are holy and worthy of being worshipped. I confess that I do not always live my life as if I believe these words. Lord, through the power of the Holy Spirit make my words and actions express worship and love for you at all times.

No comments:

Post a Comment