Sunday, October 10, 2010

Busyness

It seems like everyone I know is busy. When we greet each other, we talk about how busy we are. When we talk on the phone, we talk about how busy we are. When we plan our days, we tell ourselves how busy we are. We are a busy people in our culture. It is as if we think it is the only socially acceptable way to be—BUSY. But what are we busy doing? God’s work? I doubt it. At least in my case, I know I am awfully busy, but I cannot say all of my busyness is bringing glory to God.

So how much of your busyness is bringing glory to God? How much time are you spending watching TV, frittering away time on frivolous self-indulgent activities, engaging in something you know is not pleasing to God, or doing anything except what God is calling you to do for the moment. I am guilty. Been there. Done that.

For as long as I can remember, I have taken great pride because I am so busy. But is being extremely busy what God is calling us to do? Well, I know God wants us to be productive.

“Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business and to work with your hands, just as we told you, so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders and so that you will not be dependent on anybody.” 1 Thessalonians 4:11-12 NIV

It says we are to work and lead a quiet life. That doesn’t sound like it is advising us to have a life full of busyness. We are to work but lead a life which is peaceful. Since I tend to engulf myself in activity and since I have struggled with the concept of being quiet, I wonder what else the Bible says about being quiet.

"Be still, and know that I am God; ..." Psalm 46:10a NIV

So if I desire to know God better, I must have times of quietness—of being still. I must be focused and quiet as he reveals himself to me.

“The Lord your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing." Zephaniah 3:17 NIV

So when I am going through some of the unpleasant stuff life seems to regularly throw at me, the solution is to turn to God because he will quiet me. What a promise!

“Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for him; do not fret when men succeed in their ways, when they carry out their wicked schemes...For evil men will be cut off, but those who hope in the Lord will inherit the land.” Psalm 37:7, 9 NIV

So if I wait patiently, God will punish evil men and reward those who are quiet before him.

Lord, I confess my sin of impatience. I want everything now. I surround myself with activity. I repent. Starting today, I commit a time of quiet before you daily because I desire to grow closer to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment