Friday, October 1, 2010

Patience Needed

Today I needed patience. Nothing especially bad happened, but everything trying seemed to happen.

“Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.” Colossians 3:12 NIV

The day started off being a challenge. I did not even get to make my bed until—well I guess I didn’t make it. It collected the freshly washed but unfolded laundry. The laundry didn’t get folded until Ray needed it off the bed so he could go to sleep for the night. I hate not having my bed made and laundry on it most of the day. Grumble. Grumble.

“Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.” 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 NIV

Okay so I am thankful my dear husband recognized that I had a trying day and folded the clothes on his own volition. What a blessing such a thoughtful husband is.

My mother-in-law who is usually very agreeable was downright testy all day. Grumble. Grumble.

“Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity.” Colossians 3:13-14 NIV

I was being selfish because I was concerned about how she was being unreasonable. In actuality I should have been more patient and less self-centered. I should have been focusing on her needs. As I later realized, she was not physically feeling well. I should have been more compassionate.

“Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others.” Philippians 2:3-4 NIV

So I am to focus less on my wants and my needs. This means not only am I to assist others as appropriate, but also that I am to have a compassionate attitude about what I am doing.

“Do everything without complaining or arguing,” Philippians 2:14 NIV

Lord, through the power of the Holy Spirit, make my attitude right. Every time I want to complain, make me aware of my sin. Then show me the action you desire for me to take. Mold my attitude so it will be pleasing to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment