Friday, October 8, 2010

What Does It Matter?

Sometimes I’d like to be able to shrug off difficult situations. I’d like to put no importance on hurtful remarks or perceived slights. I’d like to be able to say to myself, “What does it matter?” and let it go. But instead, I nurse the hurt. I think poor me. I analyze what happened from my selfish perspective. I know that to remain emotionally healthy, dwelling on the negative is not advisable. Spending too much time thinking about how unfair something is leads to bitterness, anger, depression, and feelings of helplessness. Then, knowing this, why do I do it? Why cannot I be more like Paul, who faced much worse than I will ever endure?

“But what does it matter?” Philippians 1:18a NIV

This is Paul’s response to people who were telling falsehoods and doing things to undermine his ministry behind his back when he was powerless to defend himself.

“…supposing that they can stir up trouble for me while I am in chains.” Philippians 1:17b NIV

Paul’s only concern was that the gospel message be presented.

“…The important thing is that in every way, whether from false motives or true, Christ is preached. And because of this I rejoice…” Philippians 1:18b NIV

So my selfish pride issues should not be driving my attitudes and behaviors. My focus should be on whether Christ is being made known. I make Christ known both through my words and my actions.

“This is how we know who the children of God are and who the children of the devil are: Anyone who does not do what is right is not a child of God; nor is anyone who does not love his brother.” 1 John 3:10 NIV

Lord, through the power of the Holy Spirit, take my focus off myself. Show me how to love my brother and proclaim Christ in words and behaviors.

No comments:

Post a Comment