Thursday, October 28, 2010

What Does My Speech Say?

Have you ever spent one full day examining everything you said? I tried it because I have become convicted by the teaching in God’s Word that states what comes out of our mouths is an accurate reflection of what is in our hearts.

“The good man brings good things out of the good stored up in his heart, and the evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in his heart. For out of the overflow of his heart his mouth speaks.” Luke 6:45 NIV

So today I paid close attention to everything that came out of my mouth. Today was selected for this little experiment because I was not as busy as I usually am. Most of what I said was okay. Some of it was actually thoughtful and kind. But some of it sounded a bit selfish. Some of it was a bit impatient.

I was not so shocked at what came out of my mouth as I was surprised with what I censored. I did not say the blatantly self-serving impatient thoughts. That is good. But if I had these thoughts on a relatively relaxed day when I am paying close attention to my speech, I wonder what I am saying a hectic day when I am not concentrating on the quality of my comments. What is of greater concern is my heart condition. Why am I having selfish-insensitive thoughts?

“All kinds of animals, birds, reptiles and creatures of the sea are being tamed and have been tamed by man, but no man can tame the tongue. It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison.” James 3:7-8 NIV

So I cannot tame my tongue because my heart is not totally given over to God. My words and thoughts are uncontrollable as long as I try to monitor and manipulate them using my power. My selfish, sinful nature will not allow that. But the creator of all things can give me the power through the Holy Spirit to change my heart. The dissatisfaction, insecurity, and selfishness can only be eradicated by the miraculous surgical skills on the condition of my heart by my Lord and Savior.

“Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.” John 14:27 NIV

So what does my speech say about how much of my heart is given over to my Lord and Savior?

Lord, pour your peace out into my heart. Mold it like the potter molds a fine vessel. Make it so I do not have to censor my speech—so that my unguarded speech is as full of your love and caring as my closely monitored speech.

No comments:

Post a Comment