Saturday, October 16, 2010

Not Fair

It is not fair! I work hard. I am polite. I compliment. I encourage. I have only good intentions. I get insulted. I get rejected. I feel defeated. Life just is not fair.

God never promised that life would be fair. Actually, many passages of scripture tell us exactly the opposite. Paul is one example. Over and over again he did the right thing yet he was maligned by those who did not agree with the gospel message.

“I served the Lord with great humility and with tears, although I was severely tested by the plots of the Jews.” Acts 20:19 NIV

Even though he was physically mistreated many times, Paul still taught humility and service to others.

“Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others.” Philippians 2:3-4 NIV

But how do you do that? How do you consider the interests of someone who is being unfair and mean to you?

“Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you.” Colossians 3:12-13 NIV

Now that is one tall order. Surely I cannot be expected to forgive someone who has repeatedly insulted me. Yet I have rejected and insulted God when I was unwilling to be a public witness for him. Not to mention the times I just plain refused to behave myself—like the times when I questioned my faith and refused to pray because I was "too sophisticated."

Forgive others as God forgave me? That is a tough one. I tend to nurse my hurt feelings—to not let them go. I do not want to be forgiving to those who have purposely done things which I find insulting. I definitely do not want to treat them with compassion, kindness, gentleness, and patience! But I must because that is what God has told us to do.

"’God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble.’ Humble yourselves, therefore, under God's mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time.” 1 Peter 5:5b-6 NIV

So to be humble like God calls us to be humble is not the position of a weak person. It takes a very high level of spiritual strength to stand firm in the faith as a gentle, compassionate, patient person when we find ourselves in unfair situations.

Lord, through the power of the Holy Spirit, make my faith strong so that I can be your humble servant in all situations.

No comments:

Post a Comment