Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Send Me

“Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, ‘Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?’ And I said, ‘Here am I. Send me!’” Isaiah 6:8 NIV

When confronted with the idea of God calling me to a particular ministry, it is so easy, as I am sitting in my recliner with a warm cup of oolong tea, to say of course I would do as God asked. But would I? Honestly, it would depend on what the ministry job happened to be. Did I just say that? Did I just admit that I might choose to reject God’s call into ministry? Yes I did because I know how selfish and weak I am. I know how accustomed I have become to my comfortable surroundings. I like having friends close by who encourage and help me. God does call workers for comfortable ministries, but as I study my Bible, often those he calls experience great difficulties.

“By faith Noah, when warned about things not yet seen, in holy fear built an ark to save his family.” Hebrews 11:7a NIV

Noah did not have an easy task. He built this huge monstrosity to protect himself and his family from a flood during a time before God had allowed it to flood. Noah was not wicked like the others of his day. So I am sure he withstood some feelings of being ostracized. However, once Noah started building the ark and collecting animals, I can only imagine how cruel the comments of his neighbors must have been. But he dutifully followed even the strangest commands given by God. Truly amazing.

“But Moses said to God, ‘Who am I, that I should go to Pharaoh and bring the Israelites out of Egypt?’" Exodus 3:11 NIV

Even a great biblical hero such as Moses couldn’t believe the job God gave him. Moses had fled Egypt in fear and shame. He was exiled in Midian tending sheep. Now God wanted him to go to Pharoah and tell this powerful leader of Egypt that God wanted him to allow over a million of his slaves to leave Egypt. No wonder Moses felt inadequate. I cannot imagine doing such a thing, but God equips those he calls. Through Moses’ leadership, the Israelites were not only released but the Egyptians gave them a bounty of gold, silver, and other valuables to go away quickly. Truly amazing!

”But the Lord said to Ananias, ‘Go! This man is my chosen instrument to carry my name before the Gentiles and their kings and before the people of Israel.’” Acts 9:15 NIV

The man talked about in this passage is Saul--the main persecutor of Christians. Saul was an arrogant, legalistic Jewish religious leader. He was feared by anyone even interested in learning more about the Christ followers. But God dramatically called Saul to become Paul the apostle. God’s way does not always make much sense to us humans. Why would he call someone responsible for the torture and death of Christians to become one of his most influential and effective apostles? Once he was called by God, Paul did not let anything stop him from doing exactly as God directed him to do for the rest of his eventful life. Paul gave up power, influence, and wealth for impoverishment, danger, torture, ridicule, and imprisonment. Truly amazing.

God called Isaiah to bring a very unpopular message to Judah. Isaiah was a man of privilege and wealth. He had access to the king’s court. He could expect to live the good life during a time when the Israelites were experiencing much prosperity. But instead, this good man had an encounter with God which forever changed his life. God gave Isaiah a glimpse of himself. Isaiah immediately recognized how sinful he was.

"’Woe to me!’ I cried. ‘I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.’" Isaiah 6:5 NIV

Immediately, Isaiah was willing to give up his dreams, luxury, and power for the opportunity to bring a very unpopular message of severe judgment to Judah.

So once we get an accurate view of God, we are willing to do anything he asks—even if it is unpopular or dangerous.

Lord, give me a correct view of you, equip me, then send me.

No comments:

Post a Comment