Wednesday, October 20, 2010

What a Friend

“In him [Jesus Christ] and through faith in him we may approach God with freedom and confidence.” Ephesians 3:12 NIV

I love the old hymns. Today “What a Friend We Have in Jesus” has been running through my head. Jesus is my friend. He listens and shares in my tribulations. He was with me every moment of my difficulties yesterday. He is with me today even though today has been a pleasant experience. My favorite passages of this song written by Joseph Scriven bring me comfort.

Have we trials and temptations? Is there trouble anywhere? We should never be discouraged. Take it to the Lord in prayer.

"Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation. The spirit is willing, but the body is weak." Matthew 26:41 NIV

It seems that no matter how hard I try, there is always something happening to make my life difficult. Things do not go as I expect or want. Or worse, I am torn between what I want to do and what is the right thing to do. Too often I give into the temptation. If only I would pray first!

Do thy friends despise, forsake thee? Take it to the Lord in prayer.

"And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints." Ephesians 6:18 NIV

The most difficult things which have happened to me in the past couple of years have been with relationships. Longtime friendships unexplainably fell apart. People I thought I could trust and would be there for me were not what I believed them to be. Unfortunately I was not the friend they expected, and I feel I have been betrayed and misled. None of this is unique to me. But I did not always handle the problems well because I did not take it to the Lord in prayer as I should have.

Oh what peace we often forfeit. Oh, what needless pain we bear. All because we do not carry everything to God in prayer!

"Is any one of you in trouble? He should pray. Is anyone happy? Let him sing songs of praise." James 5:13 NIV

I am convicted. Too often and for too long I have seen God as my request granter. And that he is. In James 4:2b it says, “You do not have, because you do not ask God.” But my requests should not be all I offer up to God. I must also praise him.

So I should be treating Jesus as my most valued friend. I should be frequently and sincerely communicating with him through prayers of concern, request, thanksgiving, and praise.

Lord, you are the only true, perfect, forever friend. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment