Monday, October 11, 2010

My Mouth

I cannot believe I just said that! Why did I let myself get drawn into that conversation? If only I had kept my mouth shut! Why do I talk so much? My mouth seems to be my major problem. It gets me into so much trouble. If I am not just rambling, I am complaining.

“Do everything without complaining or arguing,” Philippians 2:14 NIV

It does not surprise me that the Bible says I am not to complain. That is not the problem. The problem is that I cannot get myself to stop complaining. I do not want to but I continue to.

“But the things that come out of the mouth come from the heart, and these make a man 'unclean.' For out of the heart come evil thoughts…” Matthew 15:18-19a NIV

So when I am complaining, I am really announcing to my listeners that I am harboring evil in my heart. I am displaying how sinful I am. If I truly desire to not complain, I have to remove the sinfulness from my heart.

“Circumcise your hearts, therefore, and do not be stiff-necked any longer.” Deuteronomy 10:16 NIV

I am to cut the sin out of my life. How? I have tried to clean up my patterns of speech and failed.

“In him you were also circumcised, in the putting off of the sinful nature, not with a circumcision done by the hands of men but with the circumcision done by Christ,” Colossians 2:11 NIV

So I am to turn my sin over to Christ. Christ sent the Holy Spirit to teach me how to live a life pleasing to God.

“But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you.” John 14:26 NIV

So I am to study Scripture, pray, and actively cooperate with the Holy Spirit as he shows me my sin and how to overcome it.

Lord, “May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.” (Psalm 19:14 NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment