Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Grumble. Grumble. Gripe. Gripe.

My poor husband. He bears the brunt of my complaining. Just yesterday I had two gripe sessions. Once when he came home and once when I later returned home from a softball game. Yes I had legitimate concerns. By today’s behavior standards, I had a right to gripe. But what about God’s standards?

“Jesus answered and said to them, ‘Do not grumble among yourselves.’ ” John 6:43 NASU

Oops! I guess I didn’t follow that command. But can’t I let off steam? I was right in both situations. Isn’t it okay to grumble about something with my husband who thinks as I do about both of my complaints yesterday?

“It is better to live in a corner of the roof than in a house shared with a contentious woman.” Proverbs 25:24 NASU

Another oops!

”You too, be patient and stand firm, because the Lord's coming is near. Don't grumble against each other, brothers, or you will be judged. The Judge is standing at the door!” James 5:8-9 NIV

Okay. Okay. I get it. I am to not grumble or complain.

So how am I to behave? How am I to handle those frustrating situations?

“in everything give thanks; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.” 1 Thessalonians 5:18 NASU

So whoever said living the Christian life is easy? Maybe he should consult God’s Word and just try following his commands on his own power. It just cannot be done. The power of the Holy Spirit living in anyone who has asked Jesus to rule in his life is the only possible path to living for God’s glory even in the simple daily routines.

So how am I to behave now that I understand I misbehaved? This is how the Lord says his people will behave after receiving discipline.

“Those who are wayward in spirit will gain understanding; those who complain will accept instruction." Isaiah 29:24 NIV

Lord, take away my griping and complaining. Give me a spirit of thanksgiving. Make me receptive to your instruction.

No comments:

Post a Comment