Saturday, April 10, 2010

Utterly Miserable!

I love the spring. The pear trees are in full bloom. The redbud trees are at their peak. And the non-flowering trees are taking on a green hue as new leaf growth emerges. Jonquils, tulips, and hyacinths are brightening the landscape as are the dandelions. The spring winds bring in the storms which water the new growth. Robins are cavorting on the lawn. Amazingly beautiful.

"Consider how the lilies grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you, not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these." Luke 12:27 NIV

So why am I miserable? God has seen fit to allow me to suffer with allergies. The spring tree pollen has caused me to retreat to the confines of my house. I cannot go out and inhale the spring scents. I cannot go out and let the warm breezes blow through my hair. I cannot. Ugh.

So why did God create the wonders of spring when he allows so many of us to be miserable among the beauty?

"But those who suffer he delivers in their suffering; he speaks to them in their affliction." Job 36:15 NIV

So God might be speaking to me while I am suffering with allergies? Seems a bit of a stretch based on normal human thinking. But then, what would I be doing right now if I felt good? I’d be out proudly pursuing pleasure in the out-of-doors. Now there is nothing wrong with that. After all God did create the trees and the flowers to bring pleasure. The problem is that if I behave as I normally do, I’d be engaged in enjoying nature in a proud, self-directed manner instead of in a God-directed way. The sin of self-direction is so pervasive in me!


"If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today, and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, how much more will he clothe you, O you of little faith!... But seek his kingdom, and these things will be given to you as well." Luke 12:28, 31 NIV

So today I am sitting in the confines of my home viewing God’s magnificent creation through a window and praising him that it is temporary. Someday I will be with him in an eternal beauty to which earthly splendor cannot compare.

Lord, through the power of the Holy Spirit, keep me focused on you continuously throughout each moment of each day even if you use a bit of misery to get my attention.

2 comments:

  1. When the earth is so beautiful and coming to life it's hard to imagine that heaven could be more beautiful. Not only did he make the earth splendid but he did a magnificent wonder with the human eye. Did you know that the human eye can see more shades of green than of any other colour?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heaven we are on our way!! Until then we can enjoy the unbelievable wonders our God has created for us on earth.

    ReplyDelete