Monday, April 19, 2010

Prayer--A Verb?

Pastor started a sermon series today on prayer. The gist of today’s sermon was we do not pray very much. We look at prayer as a noun and not as a verb. The concept of prayer as a verb is not new to me but it impacted me as I started reflecting on prayer as a verb. This is probably because I have been struggling with making prayer a more integral part of my life. It has been a slow process. Why? I love my Lord.

I start most days with Bible study but occasionally neglect to spend a dedicated time in prayer. Yes, I will pray quickly as I rush off to “beat the clock.” I know that prayer should take place as an unrushed, dedicated event in each day because devoting time to communicating sincerely with God is essential to living a meaningful and victorious Christian life.

"Have faith in God," Jesus answered. "I tell you the truth, if anyone says to this mountain, 'Go, throw yourself into the sea,' and does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen, it will be done for him. Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours." Mark 11:22-24 NIV

In addition, I know that I am to pray continuously throughout the day.

“pray continually;” 1 Thessalonians 5:17 NIV

Sometimes I think I do pretty well with my prayer life. Most days I pray using my prayer journal for my dedicated time in prayer. Using a prayer journal is not necessary but it helps me keep focused and helps me to remember what I have already prayed. At random times during the day I will pray a short prayer. Today I even prayed while I peeled potatoes!

So why do I feel dissatisfied with my prayer life? The reason may be I pray because it is something I am supposed to do, I pray out of selfish motivations, or I do not give my full attention to God. Prayer too often is another thing to check off my “to do” list.

Lord, draw me close to you. Make me yearn to sincerely and effectively communicate with you before, during, and after each daily activity or event.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome Post Sandy! I love the way you see the truth of and so readily apply it to your life!
    Keep ON Keepin' On!!!

    ReplyDelete