Saturday, April 24, 2010

Stealing Second

Life involves risks. You cannot steal second base and keep your foot on first.

Daddy collected sayings that he found insightful. Recently Mom ran across a notebook of the sayings he collected and shared them with me as we made a trip to Oklahoma to visit my niece and her family. The part about taking risks struck me as very relevant to my current situation. Pastor mentioned something very similar in a recent sermon. I have learned that when God keeps drawing my attention to something I had better pay attention. What does this saying mean for my spiritual life?

It is so easy to become comfortable and listless in our spiritual practices. The familiarity is reassuring but can also eventually result in apathy. This fall and winter God has been teaching me some spiritual lessons, but lately I have felt like I have reached a plateau. So this weekend I took a risk with the blessing of my husband. I have sought the spiritual discipline of solitude.

God has made us to be relational, but sometimes we need to get away from the pressures of everyday life. I needed to get away to a beautiful place to pray, meditate, write, and read Scripture, and pray some more. I needed to focus on God.

So here I am sitting on the balcony of a room in the Missouri Ozarks. As I drove here, I listened to podcast sermons which miraculously prepared me well for this time of reflection. God has provided a gentle, soothing rain and the birds are singing. It is the perfect setting to focus on the beauty of his creation. It is the perfect atmosphere to reflect on God and the wonder of his generous provision. I serve an amazing God.

And my God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:19 NIV

Lord, thank you for the perfect timing and perfect setting to meditate on Your Word and to communicate with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment