Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Little decision? Big decision?

Little decisions make big decisions for us. Stop and think about it. We make a multitude of little decisions every day. Those little decisions are what form our character, our actions, and our lives. Judas and Peter both made many little daily decisions. One set of decisions lead to betrayal while the other lead to a life dedicated to Christ.

Judas’s betrayal was premeditated over a period of time. He dwelt on small disappointments. He became disillusioned because Jesus was not going to become the powerful government leader Judas wanted. The negative thoughts lead to discontent. Discontent lead to plans for rebellion. Once Judas committed to betraying Jesus, he still could have repented. But he did not. Later, Judas became remorseful because he saw how Jesus and his friends were treated. Judas was sorry he betrayed Jesus because he didn’t like the way it turned out. But Judas was unwilling to admit his sin and humble himself to God by asking forgiveness.

So how am I like Judas? Am I sorry I sinned, or am I sorry when I get caught? When I don’t like consequences, do I say too bad and go on with my life? Do I try to make things better in my own power?

“The first thing I must be willing to admit when I begin to examine what controls and dominates me is that I am the one responsible for having yielded myself to whatever it may be.” My Utmost for His Highest March 14

Peter is an excellent example of what happens when we temporarily take our eyes off Jesus. Unlike Judas, Peter became victorious in Jesus because he realized he was wrong-- realized he had made a bad choice--realized he must ask for forgiveness. Peter realized he had to change his attitude and his behavior. He realized he had to obey Jesus instead of taking things into his own hands.

So self must be removed as a right, as a top priority. When Jesus convicts or instructs me, I must pay attention. If he his pointing out my sin, I must repent immediately. If he is giving me instructions, I must follow every detail in the timing he gives. In either case, whether receiving instruction or receiving correction, I must spend some time alone as I listen to and communicate with my Savior. It is in those times that I hear his voice most clearly and am closest to Him.

When we blow it, remember Jesus prayed for us.

“My prayer is not that you take them out of the world but that you protect them from the evil one…Sanctify them by the truth; your word is truth.” John 17:15, 17

So am I a Judas or a Peter?

Lord, show your will to me. Keep me focused on you as I make each small decision today. Through the power of the Holy Spirit use me—make my life glorify you.

No comments:

Post a Comment