Thursday, April 15, 2010

My Good Friend?

How do we treat our friends? Generally we are kind and thoughtful toward friends we value.
• We compliment them.
• We spend time with them.
• We engage in similar activities.
• We talk with them.
• We listen to their concerns and gripes.
• We just “hang” with them

Since early childhood we have been learning how to be a valued friend.

“…I have called you friends…” John 15:15 NIV

So Jesus called his disciples friends. Is Jesus your Savior and friend? He is my most valued friend. But sometimes I take this most valued relationship for granted. Oh that I may never be caught taking Jesus for granted again!

So
what do I need to do to correct my rude and inconsiderate behavior toward Jesus, my special friend?
• Be kind and thoughtful. Tell him thank you for the many ways he blesses me.
• Notice special things he does for me and give him credit when speaking with others.
• Look for ways to bring him glory as I go about my daily activities.
• Compliment him through praising and glorifying him in prayer and song.
• Spend time listening to him as he speaks to me through his word. Listen for his voice as I pause in prayer at various times in the day.
• Pray to him, not just at meals or bedtime, but randomly throughout the day.
• Listen to his concerns and respond to what he wants me to do.
• Quite giving him a “laundry list” of demands and instead bring my concerns to him and ask for his input in discerning how I am to respond.

Lord, forgive me for not treating you with the kindness, devotion, and love that you deserve. Mold me into a person who is totally devoted to you and worships you with my total self.

No comments:

Post a Comment