Monday, April 12, 2010

Phew! I Needed That!

Things have been a bit unsettling lately. That happens when I do not feel good and cannot keep up with the busy schedule I set for myself. I get grumpy not only because of physical illness but also because tasks are piling up and I start feeling buried in duties. The “have to do” activities take over my mind. Pressure builds. My wants just are not happening. The result=NEGATIVITY

Now I know that attitude does not mesh with Scripture. In numerous places Scripture instructs us to give thanks no matter the situation in which we find ourselves.

“Praise the Lord. Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good; his love endures forever.” Psalm 106:1 NIV

“Speak to one another with psalms, hymns and spiritual songs. Sing and make music in your heart to the Lord, always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.” Ephesians 5:19-20 NIV

“give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.” 1 Thessalonians 5:18 NIV

So what is my problem? If I say I love the Lord and I call myself a Christian, why don’t I give thanks always? Why does this negativity take over when things get just slightly difficult? Even Paul, a saint by any standard, struggled with the same issue.

“So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God — through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, I myself in my mind am a slave to God's law, but in the sinful nature a slave to the law of sin.” Romans 7:21-25 NIV

So it is my sinful nature at work. It is also the deceitful, secretive, deceptive work of Satan to sabotage my witness for Christ. But I know that by living a life yielded to Jesus Christ there is success.

So this morning I sat on my deck listening to the songs of the morning birds. They set the tone for an extended time in prayer. I communicated with God and refocused on him. Phew, I needed that! God is so good!

“But thanks be to God! He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.” 1 Corinthians 15:57 NIV

Lord, keep me focused on you giving thanks in all things so my sinful nature and Satan’s efforts to nullify my witness are ineffective.

1 comment:

  1. To think of all the things I could have read this eve and I picked this! HA!

    I have been struggling with the tongue today. Was avoiding reading James. Or the passage on "out of the Aubundaance of the heart...". Wonder what the correlation is between ungratefulness and negativity is ?
    Lorna

    ReplyDelete