Saturday, April 3, 2010

Know What?

Know what? It is not about you or me. Jesus did not come to make us happy in this life. He came to give us salvation so we can experience joy now and forever as we live in his grace.

A very large crowd spread their cloaks on the road, while others cut branches from the trees and spread them on the road. The crowds that went ahead of him and those that followed shouted,"Hosanna to the Son of David!" "Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord!" Matthew 21:8-9 NIV

The “Hallelujah Crowds” degraded into “Murderous Grumblers” because Jesus was not what they wanted him to be.

"Which of the two do you want me to release to you?" asked the governor."Barabbas," they answered. "What shall I do, then, with Jesus who is called Christ?" Pilate asked. They all answered, "Crucify him!" Matthew 27:21-22 NIV

Their unmet expectations led to rebellion. Jesus was not on earth to become a temporary earthly king. He was here to provide a way that we can have eternal life and that he can be our eternal Lord. That path requires us to accept and follow him as our leader—our Good Shepherd. So simple an act to accept--but so hard because we want everything our way. We cannot be smug sitting in our comfortable homes or churches. Many of us would have been in that crowd. We want what we want when we want it. Jesus came not to give us our wants but to give us what is best—eternal life experiencing his love and generous care.

So will I accept Jesus’ best for me? Am I willing to rejoice in any suffering he allows in my life with the enthusiasm I am willing to celebrate gifts and joyful experiences? Am I willing to look for God’s work and to recognize his purposes in any and every situation?

Lord, give me eyes to see your work all around me. Give me exuberant enthusiasm to serve you no matter how comfortable or uncomfortable it may be for me because I know serving you brings true joy which surpasses the temporary happiness of this world.

No comments:

Post a Comment