Thursday, April 22, 2010

Mirror, Mirror

Who among us can pass a mirror and not look at it? Who of us can go past store windows and not sneak a peek at our reflections as we pretend to be looking at the merchandise display? Oh but we are such a narcissistic people!

Based on my observations of people and their behaviors, I imagine you are much like me. I do not like to think of myself as being self-centered and overly concerned about making a good impression. Then why do I spend so much time and effort on looking good when I am on vacation and will be exposed to people I will never see again in my life? On the other hand, why am I not very concerned about my appearance when encountering good friends or family members?

It seems to me that part of the reason is because we take for granted those who mean the most to us and try to impress those who we do not know at all. Backwards, isn’t it?

So what do you look like before the very most important person in your life—God? Do you take Him for granted? Do you not worry about your appearance before Him?

“But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves. For if anyone is a hearer of the word and not a doer, he is like a man who looks intently at his natural face in a mirror. For he looks at himself and goes away and at once forgets what he was like. But the one who looks into the perfect law, the law of liberty, and perseveres, being no hearer who forgets but a doer who acts, he will be blessed in his doing.” James 1:22-25 ESV

So let’s not be just hearers of God’s Word. Let’s do what the Bible says by being living reflections of God.

Lord, give me an intense desire and the ability to do what Your Word says.

No comments:

Post a Comment