Friday, April 30, 2010

Me Me Me

I prefer to think of myself as a kind, generous person. And I am—most of the time. But I have to admit my good will has its limits. When someone gets in the way of me having what I want, then my compassion is tested. Now I am not just talking about getting things. I am talking about activities, recognition, and the use of time I have reserved for me. Now I do not think I am unusual. As a matter of fact, I think I am as nice or nicer than the average person. I just acknowledge that I am self-centered. Not that I am proud of it. Actually I am ashamed because excessive focus on self and not enough focus on God is sin.

The Bible gives a very good example of what happens when the focus is totally on self. In this example, Mary Magdalene is mourning outside Jesus’ tomb.

“At this, she turned around and saw Jesus standing there, but she did not realize that it was Jesus. ‘Woman,’ he said, ‘why are you crying? Who is it you are looking for?’ Thinking he was the gardener,…" John 20:14-15a NIV

Mary was so wrapped up in herself that she did not recognize Jesus when he spoke to her. The person she was mourning for was alive and speaking to her and she did not recognize him! That is self-absorption.

So I suspect we all do the same thing. We get so wrapped up in what we are feeling or doing and fail to recognize the presence of our Lord and Savior. Praise be to God that he has methods to get our attention refocused on him.

“… He calls his own sheep by name and leads them out…and his sheep follow him because they know his voice. John 10:3b, 4b NIV

So how did Jesus get Mary to take her focus off of herself?

“ Jesus said to her, ’Mary.’ She turned toward him and cried out in Aramaic, "Rabboni!" (which means Teacher).” John 20:16 NIV

So when we get all caught up in ourselves, we must stop and listen for Jesus calling us by name and leading us to have fellowship with him.

Lord, teach me to be sensitive to your voice and presence. Change my heart from having myopic self-absorption to crystal clear focus on you.

No comments:

Post a Comment