Sunday, April 18, 2010

Happy Birthday

Tomorrow is my husband’s birthday. Because it is a very busy Sunday and it will be difficult to make the day special for him, we decided to devote today to our celebration of his birthday.

Ray is not hard to please. He wanted to go to the Sedgwick County Zoo. This time of year, the zoo is great fun. We arrived shortly after opening and moseyed about for almost two hours. The animals were out and playful. The zoo keeper was feeding the penguins, the otters were cavorting in the water, the lions were majestically sunning themselves on an outcropping of rock, and the gorillas actually did some running about in the outdoor pen. The zoo is an amazing place to take a morning stroll and observe how magnificently God made his creatures.

Ray then wanted to spend a gift card so we went shopping. That is unusual for us because he hates shopping and I rarely have time to do anything except errand shopping. But we had fun in the relaxed atmosphere of his special day.

Then we had lunch at a nice little Mediterranean restaurant where we tried a hummus-like dish which included roasted eggplant. It sounds awful but is fabulous.

The rest of the day was basically spent at home and performing normal domestic activities plus taking an evening walk down 20th Street. Today was good. It was fun.

For just this one day I think I succeeded in being a Proverbs 31 wife.

“She brings him good, not harm, all the days of her life.” Proverbs 31:12 NIV

So why do I not have the attitude I had today more often? Now I know that today was special, but isn’t every day God gives me special? Generally when my attitude is good and I am focused on being a godly woman, the day goes more smoothly.

So my goal is to strive to conform to the Bible’s directions for how to be a godly wife. Even if it does not result in a warm fuzzy feeling at the end of the day, I will know that God sees and will reward me in ways beyond my imagination for all eternity.

Lord, give me the understanding of how to behave in every situation in my life as a wife and the spiritual strength to put aside my selfishness so I can behave as you desire.

No comments:

Post a Comment